Tuesday 31 July 2012

Marvelous Margate!

My Birthday plans were scuppered by my faithful car 'Tankie' having a wobble so too make sure I made the best of it I took myself off to sunny Margate to see the Emin exhibition : )

Tracey talks about the beautiful colours of Margate's horizon
This is the view from the new Turner Contemporary Gallery.  I forgot to take a photo of the gallery, which looks like it has landed from space!  On the train I was faffing around trying to workout how I actually use maps on my Blackberry (there is lingering Luddite in me) because I realized I didn't know where the gallery was!  I laughed out loud when I turned out of the station. There is this typical British slightly worn seaside town with this bling city construction landed on one side. I do wonder what the average Margatian feels about it?? 

Anyway it is a beautiful gallery with a stunning foyer that frames the sea perfectly.

Emin's new work She Lay Down Beneath the Sea is calmer and somehow more resigned. 
 I was (like many) a bit skeptical about her before I went to see Love Is What You Want last year at the Hayward Gallery.  I went twice and read everything and watch every video, I fell in love with her honesty and how fearless she is about exposing her human side.  This exhibition is less raw because she is established, comfortable and rich!  But it was good to see what a mature Emin is concentration on and I felt its was worth a trip. 

You may want to have a nose through her lovely website Tracey Emin.


I then went off for an explore of Margate and found this Tudor House,.


What I was looking for was this, the Shell Grotto. It is an amazing labour of love that was a secret for many years. A chamber and tunnels under ground covered in wall to wall shells. There are photos of it being used for a seance in the early 1800. A real bonus to my visit! 





This does not demonstrate how many people were on the beach, it was packed!
So nice to feel sand beneath my feet, I have got use to Brighton pebbles!  I think it was my birthday two years ago when we visited friends in Dorset when I last walked on sand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment