Monday 27 August 2012

Aniccaloka Again


Aniccaloka - Solitary retreat hut Norfolk


I off to the wilderness again. It had such an impact last year that I cannot resist 
going again. Here is what I wrote last year... I ll see you on the other side : )
The beginning of 2011 was intense for me because my classes at the farm were booming and I was still working at Brighton Uni.  I had been reading several books by John Lane http://www.resurgence.org/shop/books and was ready to make a change of life style.  I was desperate to be more local and connect with my community.... commuting makes you so detached.  Between working and travelling hard and having lots of exciting (and scary) new decisions becoming reality I felt desperate for some time alone.

In the past I have felt guilty or embarrassed about needing time alone.... it seems to be some people's worse scenario.  You must not think I am anti social because I love people and the dynamics of groups and the power of friendships, it s just I am a better person when I have had a good quiet spell with myself : )

I found a postcard adverting Going On Retreat in Brighton Buddhist Center after doing yoga one evening.
http://www.goingonretreat.com
Before I had given it too much thought I was booked in.  The thing I found the hardest was explaining to my lovely partner that I wanted to be on my own for a week.  I was concerned this would hurt his feelings and I am not sure if I would be so understanding....? Anyway, I think he enjoyed the peace : )  So, I arrived after a very long drive - and the people were lovely and the place felt comfortable instantly.  It was basic, but very similar to a narrow boat so not such a big contrast for me. 
I stocked up on fresh fruit and veg determined that I would have a detox whilst I was there . The last month or so I had been relying heavily on coffee in the mornings and I was feeling pretty manky!  I spent lots of time preparing beautiful but simple meals. 
 I slept and ate and walked a little.  I never saw a soul.
I sat and I watched, and I read John Lane's Spirit of Silence. I forgot about everything that I normally worry about surprisingly quickly.
I did have my phone with me, switched off and I knew if I turned it on it would be a Pandora's box to the life I had left behind and I had no desire to spoil the magic.
I felt so at peace.  After a few days of rest I felt much healthier and did some yoga and meditation which is so much easier when you aren't constantly watching the clock and thinking of what you have to do next.  In fact I only checked the time around 5 times in six days.... I woke when I woke and I ate when I ate.  Quickly, meditation sessions were lasting for 40 ish minuets and I made huge progress with it - sadly that has been completely lost five months later.  However, it has given me a desire to reach that level of peace and calm again.

Doris and Elvis

I spent a lot of time watching the swans and often sat so still butterflies landed on me!
One of the most nourishing things was feeling so close to nature and I have to say having a solar shower outside was utterly liberating - I just laughed all the way through it! : )

My plan is go back and do this again next year, I would recommend it to anyone... you can go for shorter periods but I could have comfortably done a couple more days .. 

Next time I would get the train, they are happy to pick you up from the station and take you to get your supplies.  When I first planned it I felt the need to have the independence of my own transport but quickly realized there was no need to feel this way .... that is exactly the kind of sceptic thinking we need to ditch.

No comments:

Post a Comment